Blok czekoladowy, a replica chocolate dessert was made from cocoa and milk powder. Popular during Communist times, it’s super easy to make at home!
About Blok Czekoladowy – Poland’s Eggless Chocolate Cake
The Poles are very resourceful people. During the communist times in Poland, from after WWII until 1989, there were shortages of food quite often.
Ingredients that are commonplace now – butter, sugar, coffee, almonds, and chocolate – were difficult to come by back then. They were a luxury only the rich could enjoy, but the common man wanted them too!
So home cooks would substitute available ingredients to make replica dishes, cocoa powder was used instead of chocolate, margarine was used instead of butter. That’s how the blok czekoladowy was invented in the Peoples Republic of Poland!
The blok czekoladowy made one feel like they were enjoying a block of chocolate, while this eggless cake was actually made out of milk powder, cocoa powder, butter, sugar, and biscuits or dried fruits.
You’ll still find versions of the replica chocolate cake in Polish cafes. It’s one of the good childhood memories of the 1980s.
How To Make Blok Czekoladowy – Polish Eggless Chocolate Cake
The blok czekoladowy is really easy to make in a matter of minutes. Simply melt butter in a pot with water and sugar. Next, add the cocoa powder and stir well.
After taking it off the stove, add milk powder while stirring continuously. Once the mixture has thickened, add dried fruit or crushed biscuits, whichever you prefer.
Pour everything into a bread pan and allow to set in the refrigerator for a few hours. And the chocolate cake is ready to serve!
Tips For Making Eggless Chocolate Cake With Milk Powder
- The cocoa powder cake can be made in just 5 minutes. Just make sure you have enough time to refrigerate it.
- The milk powder makes the cake quite heavy, so you probably won’t reach for that second slice.
- Use any type of biscuits or dried fruit that you like.
- You can crush the biscuits or break them into pieces.
- Or use salty biscuits or crackers or salted sunflower seeds for a sweet and salty taste.
- If you prefer, you can make the Polish blok czekoladowy without any biscuits or dried fruit.
- Use a knife soaked in hot water to smoothen the top of the chocolate before refrigeration.
- If serving for a dinner party, cut into smaller bite-sized cubes.
FAQs About Polish Blok Czekoladowy
Do Other Countries Make The Blok Czekoladowy?
Other countries make a dessert that’s similar to the blok czekoladowy. Some versions like the Italian chocolate salami also include eggs, while other versions vary on a few ingredients. The names in other countries are:
- Arretjescake in Netherlands
- Kiksekage in Denmark
- Keksz rolád in Hungary
- Lazy cake in Jordan
- Mosaika in Greece
- Mozaik pasta in Turkey
- Palha italiana in Brazil
- Soukseh in Syria
- Salame al cioccolato in Italy
- Salame de chocolate in Portugal
- Salam de biscuti in Romania
- Shokoladnaya kolbasa in Russia
- Tinginys in Lithuania
- Salchichón de chocolate in Uruguay
Is Blok Czekoladowy The Same As Rocky Road?
They look similar sometimes, but no, they’re not the same. The Polish chocolate cake is made with cocoa powder while the rocky road is made with marshmallows.
Which Dried Fruit Should I Use For The Blok Czekoladowy?
The Mixture Got Curdled Up? What Do I Do?
If the mixture gets curdled up while mixing, add a few tablespoons of hot water and blend quickly. This should smoothen it out.
How To Store The Blok Czekoladowy?
Store the Polish chocolate block in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days. Serve cold with some hot milk or tea!
Blok Czekoladowy – Eggless Chocolate Cake With Milk Powder Recipe
- 2 ½ cups of milk powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tbsps of cocoa
- 2 sticks (220g) of butter
- ½ cup of water
- 7-10 oz (200-300g) of biscuits and dried fruits
- In a pot, melt the butter with water and sugar.
- Once it's melted, add in the cocoa powder and stir well.
- Turn off the stove. Add milk powder, stirring constantly.
- Add crushed biscuits and chopped dried fruits.
- Pour the mixture into the 12'' bread pan.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Butter Unsalted - Masło
- Cacao Powder - Kakao
- Dried Apricots - Suszone morele
- Dried Mixed Fruits - Susz wigilijny
- Dried Cranberries - Żurawina suszona
- Prunes - Śliwki suszone
- Candied Fruits - Bakalie
- Wafers - Wafle
- Wafers - Wafle okrągłe
- Leibniz Butter Biscuit Cookies - Herbatniki
- Whole Milk Powder - Mleko w proszku
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this blok czekoladowy eggless chocolate cake with milk powder recipe? Let us know in the comments below!