Kielbasa is a big part of the Polish diet. Entering the Polish vocabulary in the late 18th or early 19th centuries, sausages are made of a mix of pork meat, marjoram, garlic, and more. There are many types of kielbasa, with some popular ones being biala kielbasa, kielbasa kabanos, kielbasa wiejksa, or kielbasa krakowska.
Kielbasa can be baked, broiled, boiled, smoked, grilled, or even cooked on an open campfire.
With their inherently meaty texture, kielbasa sausages are good enough to be eaten on their own. But they are complementary to a number of food items. If you ever wondered about side dishes for Polish sausage, we have your answer!
Here are some of the best side dishes to go with kielbasa and sauerkraut, starting with sauces!
Sauces to Serve With Kielbasa
You don’t always need substantial side dishes for kielbasa. Simple sauces work great when serving kielbasa as an appetizer. Here are our favorite!
The easiest thing to serve kielbasa with is ketchup! Just drizzle over the sausages and serve! Of course, you can also opt for BBQ sauce or hot sauce instead!
For that bit of creamy sweetness, mayonnaise gives bang for your buck! Serve it as a dip plain or with some chopped chives thrown in.
Spicy mustard adds that tangy flavor that makes you reach for more sausages! Whether it’s plain mustard, brown mustard or dill mustard, the sharp flavor is ridiculously good!
Poles are big on horse radish. You’ll find it added to many of our dishes, from cwikla to winter white soup and more. Homemade horseradish sauce is the perfect accompaniment to kielbasa sausages. Or if you want a more basic version, serve it with some grated horseradish.
Tartare sauce is a quick and easy preparation of sour cream, mustard and mayo. The homemade sos tatarski or tartare sauce is one of the tastiest kielbasa sides.
Garlic sauce is another easy homemade side for kielbasa sausages. Of course, if you’re too lazy to make the sauce at home, you can always buy some parmesan garlic sauce from the store!
Salads And Veggies To Serve With Kielbasa
You can choose from a range of different vegetables as sides to go with kielbasa. The can be cooked in different ways, served fresh, or turned into a simple salad!
- Fresh veggies (cucumber, tomato, bell peppers)
- Or sauteed bell peppers
- Fried green beans
- As a meaty addition to the Polish tortellini salad
- Fried onions (kiełbasa z cebulą)
- Sauerkraut (kiełbasa z kapustą kiszoną), there was never a more Polish dish than this!
- Creamy peas and carrot salad
- Polish Coleslaw
- Cooling mizeria salad (cucumber salad)
- Jajka w majonezie (mayo and hard-boiled egg salad)
- White sausage salad – Sałatka z białą kiełbasą balances your meaty desires with a good dose of veggies.
- Surówka z jabłka i marchewki (carrot and apple salad)
- Pomidory ze śmietaną, providing the perfect cooling balance when you choose spicy kielbasa sausages.
- Kielbasa can also be added to the popular salatka jarzynowa
- As an addition to salatka ziemniaczana
Other Dishes To Serve With Kielbasa
Polish sausage and mashed potatoes will never go out of style! And if you don’t like your potatoes mashed, you can have the fried or baked or boiled. You might wonder about it, but when you serve it as an appetizer the bacon in this fried potato dish actually complements the fried kielbasa sausages a lot!
Want to serve kielbasa with something less fattening? Serve them with some krokiety ruskie or kopytka dumplings and a homemade sauce!
Or even with kidney beans in red sauce for a continental breakfast.
Bread is another top choice for sides with kielbasa. You don’t have to do much! Simply slather some garlic butter or garlic sauce on toasted bread and serve with the kielbasa! Or simply serve kielbasa slices with cheese and bread.
Or you can make some hot dog buns, add sauce and mayo to it and your fried kielbasa sausages. Add a few sliced tomatoes and lettuce leaves to make you feel a bit healthier and you have the perfect snack – kielbasa hot dogs. Or you can add them to kielbasa sandwiches called kanapka!
Polish Kielbasa Recipes YouMight Like To Try!
Sometimes you might want to cook a full meal and you wonder what goes with sausages for dinner? Or what are the best side dishes for kielbasa and sauerkraut?
Here are some traditional Polish dishes to serve with kielbasa, and some that include kielbasa.
- Zurek – This Polish sour rye soup is served with kielbasa sausages and bacon bits.
- Spaghetti with tomato sauce and kielbasa – Simple yet tasty!
- Makaron z kiełbasa – An easy pasta dish topped with grated parmesam, it’s served with chopped kielbasa and fresh veggies!
- Garnek chłopski – The ‘peasant pot’, a calorific dish made with kielbasa, meat, potatoes and cabbage.
- Fasolka Po Bretonsku – Translating to ‘beans a la Brittany’, this dish made with breton beans, bacon and sausages is really filling!
- Roladki wieprzowe – Kielbasa can be added as a stuffing to Polish meat rolls.
- Bigos – The dsatiating hunter’s stew made with different kinds or meat and sauerkraut.
- Kulebiak – This Christmas pie traditionally made with sauerkraut and mushrooms is also filled with kielbasa at other times of the year.
- Babka Ziemniaczana – You’ll sometimes find the smoked bacon in this potato babka replaced with kielbasa.
Pin For Later:
What’s your favorite dish to eat with kielbasa sausages? Comment and let us know!
Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.
Thanks for letting me know, I will check it out.